Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Identifying with the Eternal Witness

In an exchange with Earth First!er (and one of the first climate justice activists) Andy Caffrey, I pointed out that it may well come to pass that in spite of all of our best efforts, there may be ecological chaos ahead.  Insofar as any responsive eco-revolutionary activity, I pointed out that aside from possible small cells, there is no revolutionary group functioning in the United States.  This whole idea of eco-revolution is a fantasy, even though there could very well be a whole list of disastrous problems in the near future, such as the use of nuclear weapons, financial collapse, commonplace malnutrition with millions permanently homeless, and even madness.  
         The point that I made is that it is most important to identify with the Eternal Witness, and ride the mental waves and take care of the body.  The mind and body are instruments for a Higher Purpose.  This is the very best response to everything.  There aren't any satisfactory political solutions, and there never will be.  There is no utopia anywhere.  There is only rotting in the quagmire of samsara, and freeing oneself from it and identifying with the Eternal Witness.
          Of course I value the many years spent being active with Earth First!, 23 years of service with Catholic Worker, 15 times being in Washington, D.C. on the front lines of peace & justice, being part of both NYC and D.C. Occupy, and a list too numerous to detail fully of direct action groups, articles written, vigils kept, spiritual groups joined, and anything else that was sincerely lived over the past 70 years.
           On September 28th this body-mind complex will be 70 years young.  I need to be out of my pal Robert Eggplant's place in Pinole, CA on Saturday, and I have no idea whatsoever where I am going to go, or what I am specifically going to do in the future.  But you know what?  Rather than fend off a mental panic and start cursing postmodernism in America, I am going to identify with the Eternal Witness. Now you tell me: Did I get it right?

Craig Louis Stehr
September 9, 2019
Facebook: Craig Louis Stehr

No comments:

Post a Comment